The 34-year-old should still be at his post Wednesday against the Sabers in Buffalo.
Forward Nick Cousins was also absent due to a back injury. He had been left out by Chief Instructor Claude Julien in the first two meetings of the season in Carolina and Toronto.
After his visit to KeyBank Arena, the Habs will play his inaugural home meet by hosting the Detroit Red Wings on Thursday.
HERE ARE THE TRIOS AND DEFENSIVE PAIRS DURING TRAINING TUESDAY
- Tomas Tatar-Philip Danault-Brendan Gallagher
- Artturi Lehkonen Max Domi Nick Suzuki
- Jonathan Drouin-Jesperi Kotkaniemi-Joel Armia
- Paul Byron-Nate Thompson-Jordan Weal
- Victor Mete-Mike Reilly / Christian Folin
- Ben Chiarot-Jeff Petry
- Brett Kulak-Cale Fleury
- Carey Price
- Keith Kinkaid