Second world racket Roger Federer has decided not to participate in the men’s Rogers Cup, which will be presented in Toronto from August 4 to 12, Tennis Canada announced Monday.
“I am very disappointed not to be taking part in the Rogers Cup this summer,” said Switzerland, a finalist in 2017, in a statement. I had fantastic times in Montreal last year and I love playing in front of Canadian fans, but since my calendar is the key to my longevity, I unfortunately decided to skip Toronto. I wish the tournament a lot of success and I’m really sorry I can not be here. “
The French Jeremy Chardy, 43rd in the world, will replace Federer in the main draw.
Tournament Director Karl Hale also said Rafael Nadal, world number one and three-time Rogers Cup winner, will start the tournament on Wednesday, Aug. 8 in the evening, while Canada’s Denis Shapovalov (27th) is expected to be in action. Eve. “I can not wait to be back in Toronto this summer,” said Nadal. I have always loved playing in Canada and I hope fans will come in large numbers for my Wednesday night game. “
Germany’s Alexander Zverev, the third-ranked player in the world, is the reigning champion of the men’s section of the Rogers Cup.